City of Corinth
215 Thomas Lane
Corinth, KY 41010-0157
The Corinth post office was first established in 1868, but the Corinth community was identifiable from the late 1820’s by the Corinth Christian Church, organized in that time period. The early records no longer exist, but the church is believed to have been located at the Corinth Cemetery on the north side of Cordova Road, between U.S. 25 and the Norfolk Southern Railroad. In 1871, the log church was moved from its original site to a site on New Columbus Road, where the present Christian Church now stands. A new church building was erected in 1873-74, replacing the log church. At that time, the present church lot was partly in Grant county and partly in Owen County.
In 1876, the KY legislature transferred an extensive section of Owen County into Grant County. This area became the Corinth and Keefer voting precincts. Up to this time, residents on the Grant County side of Corinth were included in the Cordova Precinct.
n 1878, an enactment of the legislature state “…that a town by the name of Corinth be and the same is hereby established on the Cincinnati Southern Railroad, including the present village of Corinth, to be known under the name and style of the Town of Corinth.” The charter of Corinth as town is unusual in that its corporate boundaries were permitted to extend beyond one county into Scott County.
Also in 1878, the legislature chartered the Corinth Academy whose faculty would educate children through the eight grades in the common school district. It offered continuing education for a fee to those desiring to qualify for a teachers certificate or to become proficient in a foreign language, higher math, music, bookkeeping or telegraphy. The academy was in operation until 1906 when the legislature separated the common school districts from the academy. Deprived of the common school tax funds, the academy closed.
Corinth has survived four disastrous fires, the first of which occurred in 1890. The Lancaster hotel, the Horner Mammoth Dry Goods Store, Jones’ Grocery and several dwellings were destroyed. Shortage of water was critical. The water from the boiler of a passing train locomotive was credited with saving the Depot and three residences. In 1904, 17 businesses and five dwellings were destroyed. In 1914, was just as extensive with 23 buildings burned. The fourth fire, in 1933, destroyed much of the business block again, but was contained from doing more damage by the prompt response and aid received from several other fire departments.
A positive step was taken to minimize future fire damage in 1986 when the Corinth Water District was created. Pipelines were laid serving the city and others in the south end of the county with water from the city of Williamstown. Corinth has undergone several other changes when the city obtained two re-development grants to replace older homes and to remodel others. In 1995, the City of Corinth obtained a Grant/Loan package to install a wastewater treatment plant with sewer service for its constituents. The City of Corinth has a Community Center which is available to rent for several different activities. The park has various playground equipment, basketball area, volleyball net, swing sets, and small shelter with picnic tables.